Sunday, April 6, 2014

Day 506: The Scariest Race Ever (So Far)!

Day 506:

The Scariest Race Ever (So Far)!
 
Saturday, April 12, 2014 is the date. 
 
Rockdale Ramble, also known as the toughest 10k in the Midwest, is the name. 
 
10 kilometers (or 6.2 miles) is the distance.

Am I ready? I thought I was until it came time to start my preview run of the race course yesterday.  Circumstances conspired against me and I ended up running my preview alone in the middle of the afternoon.  It was warmer in the afternoon than in the morning, but that was really the only redeeming point of the run. 
 
With map in hand, I sat on my couch, dressed to run, trying not to hyperventilate.  Runner me kept telling myself, "You've trained for this!  You've spent the last four Saturdays running up and down hills so you could run this.  Let's go!"  Hyperventilating me kept staring at the map saying, "How far did you say that is?  I've driven down that road.  It goes on forever!  What were you thinking?"
 
Finally, I got up and drove to the starting line.  Hyperventilating Lisa voted for driving the route.  Runner Lisa answered with you have to at least walk it. 
 
Well, I did run most of the route and walked when I had to stop and read the map. I made it back to my car and really wished I had been able to do this with my group.  I know that I would not have been able to keep up with any of them, but at least someone would have been waiting for me at the end. 
 
But I. Did. It!  I ran the course.  I found all the hills.  (And yes, every hill in Illinois is located in Rockdale.)  I faced my fear!
 
So, earlier today I posted this on Facebook:
 
As many of you know, I am running the Rockdale Ramble 10k. This is the longest and most difficult race I have ever attempted (so far). To celebrate this, I joined with WBGL and Abolution International and am raising funds to fight human trafficing. I am asking all my friends and family (those on Facebook and those who are not) to help me by praying for the girls who are healing from the horrors of slavery and/or by donating to help build a home in Nashville that will house rescued girls.  

 Here's the link to donate: http://www.crowdrise.com/TeamWBGL2014/fundraiser/lisabutler2

You see, even though this blog is called A Runner's Journal, the web address is runningfreefinally.  Today, I am free to run.  And today there are girls out there who are not free.  Period.  I am free from injury, worry, and fear.  There are girls who are not.  And there are girls out there who have been rescued from slavery and are facing their fears right now in order to heal from the scars left on their souls.  I want to honor them by helping my favorite radio station raise money to build a house for these girls to live in, learn at, and have the time they need to heal.  Will you join me?

Facing fear together,
Lisa
  

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Lisa. It's a hard but crazy fun course. It was always my favorite of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping that once I am out on the course with a couple thousand of my running friends, it won't be quite so scary.

    ReplyDelete